Monday 1 March 2010

Introductions

Hi. Over the last couple of months I’ve been reading some blogs and it’s kinda given me the blogging bug. I’ve always been one of those people who start a diary as a New Year’s resolution and then get bored and stop by about February. Hopefully this one will last a little longer!


The reason I’ve been looking for blogs is to get an insider’s view on medical school. See, I’m one of those crazy people who has decided to put themselves through the hell that is UCAS apply to med schools: the stressing, the obsessively checking track, the over analysing every sentence of my personal statement and answers to interview questions and terrorising the postman for thick letters only please, no thin ones. It turns nice, normal, ordinary people into crazy, twitching, paranoid, ones – not fun. To make matters worse, this is the third time I’m putting myself through it. You might very well think that I should have learnt my lesson by now, but no, I’m a glutton for punishment. All it has taught me is that yes, medicine is what I want to do and that hopefully it will all be worth it in the end.

I’m back living at home with my parents and my cat for the time being, working in an office for a pension’s administration company. I’m a Project Officer, so I make spreadsheets, analyse data for problems and make reports. It’s not terribly exciting, but it is nice to have a wage. The people I work with are great, and I’ve been here for three years now working in my holidays from Uni. It also satisfies the geek in me that likes playing with spreadsheets and problem solving.

I have a Laser Radial which I don’t sail nearly as often as I’d like to/should. I am also a sailing instructor for Juniors, which is great fun. At uni I was looking for a challenge and to learn a new skill so I started rowing as I am hopeless at all land sports (can’t run, can’t throw, can’t catch). That was awesome and I loved it so much I joined my local rowing club and we are currently the novice women’s 4 WEARA champions, which means I have shiny stuff with my name on it :) Considering I’ve always been rubbish at sports, this is a big deal to me. My goal is to lose my novice status by the end of the year, which means I need to win two more races.

I knit in the evenings in front of the telly curled up on the sofa. It started because I needed to do something creative for my IB, and so I got my Mum to teach me and I made a patchwork blanket with her and my aunts to take to uni with me. I made a few scarves, a load of baby jumpers for my cousins’ kids and some stripy socks for Christmas presents this year. I am a firm believer that you should never wear boring pants and socks. If I’m having a rubbish day I only need to take my shoes off and see my brightly coloured stripy socks and I smile, as does everyone else who sees me padding round the place in my socks. Try it someday; I defy you not to smile :)

I’m not the best writer, but I’d like to think I have good sense of humour, which I hope comes through in my writing. If there’s any comments you have to help me improve, or if you’d just like to drop me a message to say hi I’d love to hear from you. By the way, bean is a nickname my boyfriend gave me that seemed to stick.

No comments: