Tuesday 6 April 2010

Bean: Queen of Cupcakes

It was so good to have the Easter break. It is one thing I like about having a regular 9-5 job and not being a student –weekends and bank holidays mean so much more. I’ll miss that. I was about ready for a break too, so it was lovely to have the Friday and Monday off. Short weeks are brilliant. A pretty unremarkable week before that: nice and quiet at work, although I’m not sure why because I have a lot of work to do. It’s possibly because I know I have an end date now. On my work flow spreadsheet I put some formulae in to count number of working days left :) I’m such a geek sometimes.


I didn’t get a lie in Friday because I went rowing for the first time in months. The weather was atrocious, so we did an erg first. Blergh, I hate ergs and I haven’t done one of those in even longer. They are just hell, pain and errm, hell. But, I did it and we had an outing after that when the weather cleared up. It was so nice to be back on the water. It’s like my calm place, being on the water – whether it’s rowing, sailing or kayaking, it’s lovely to just get away from it all and think of nothing bar what you are doing on the water. I did have a little more to think about unfortunately, since I was stroking. This means (for you non-rowers) that I was at the head of the boat setting the rhythm – no-one can move before I do and everyone must move at the same time as me. This is quite hard in itself, as you have to be perfect – you have no-one to follow, but being a little rusty, and being shorter than the rest of the girls, I wasn’t setting a very good pace, and they have to move faster to keep up with me. Never mind, I’m rowing again tonight, I’ll do better this time.

The rest of the weekend was pretty much spent in the kitchen baking cakes and muffins. Mum volunteered me to make some to take to see the family for Easter, and I had wanted to make some to take to work to celebrate my good news. This mainly involves me throwing flour and icing sugar everywhere, and even getting some in the mixing bowl, but mostly over me and the kitchen. I could totally be five :) The cakes I make are very good, but I’m also extremely good at making a mess. I broke out my new Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook and made 2 batches of Red Velvet, and 1 batch each of Marshmallow cakes, Black Bottom cakes and Banana and Cinnamon muffins, oh, and some soup for work, and some earrings for me. It was a properly creative weekend, and the cakes are lovely :) I normally bake when I have exams and essays to have a break (and a reward for when they’re finished).

Oo, in other exciting news, mr got into the regiment he wanted, so his interviews did go well and he is a happy, but tired boy. He is happy two-fold because Cambridge won the boat race and he briefly went there for a year before switching to Southampton so we have a slight allegiance (even though the Oxford blue is prettier than the Cambridge one, he pokes me when I say that). What an awesome race it was! He is also happy three-fold, because it is his Easter break coming up (the army do things odd) and we are plotting a trip to London to see Avenue Q, which makes me a very happy and excitable bean, because it’s one I’ve wanted to see for ages. Might also see if we can fit in a trip to the hospital museum which was shut when we went to London for New Years. All I have left to do is book the train tickets, which I very nearly did last night, but had to stop when I realised I was booking them for the wrong month – oops! Don’t panic about me being a Dr, I’m not normally this scatty, honest! :) Have an awesome short week people.

No comments: