Monday, 16 January 2012

Exam post mortem and my new friend

The exam went ok, I think.  I'm not really sure.  I haven't found any yet that I got wrong through overhearing other people discussing questions.  I fall in the group of people that doesn't like doing post mortems on exams.  I am very competent all on my own at beating myself up and second guessing my answers, I don't need any help thank you very much.  I can't change what I did so it's best for my sanity and sleep cycle if I just forget about it.  I answered less questions than last time, which could mean I have done better as I will have gotten fewer minus points for getting questions wrong, or worse as I didn't answer as many so didn't have a chance to get points.  Aargh, see? Neurotic about Track, neurotic about exams, maybe it's a medical student thing?  Or me, just me :)  My last minute cramming sort of worked.  There was a question about B symptoms in leukaemia.  I read a little about B symptoms, but only that they existed, I didn't read what they were.  If I'd just have read the rest of the paragraph!

I have moved back home for two weeks whilst my parents are away on holiday to cat sit.  This weekend was the loneliest time in my life.  The two people I talk to every day, Mum and Mr have left the country, and I had to move back to my parents house.  Normally I like to be on my own but it's different because in my house I can always hear the noises from other people.  Here it's just me and a cat that hates people.  She had very little human contact and she's only two, so she doesn't really know how to be a domestic cat.  Every time I stand she runs away.  I enter a room and she leaves it.  She sleeps all day then yells at me to go to bed so she can play all night with me gone.

Today, we had a breakthrough.  My computer is set up on the dining table and today she has come to sit next to me on the corner of the table, staring at the computer screen.  I've been watching the streams of our lectures, and the take the form of a split screen with a view of the lecturer and a view of the powerpoint.  Freya keeps watching the lecturer and every now and then bopping them in an "Ah, shut uppa ya face" sort of way.  It's hilarious.  Now she's weedled her way into the space between my bum and the back of the seat.  She's curled up in a little ball, very happy and purring.  There's a big bully cat who keeps coming in and eating all her food and she just yowls at it, terrified.  Every time she yowls I come running with a water pistol, whether it's 3am or 9 am (and believe me we've done all times in between).  She runs away, I see off the cat and she creeps back to make sure it's gone.  I think that may have won me some brownie points.  That and I haven't actively tried to eat her yet.  I've gotten back into my normal routine and done my big cook for the weeks' evening meals and lunches (pork and mushroom stew and a vegetable pasta, if you wondered) and so with that and Freya's offering of friendship, today hasn't been quite so glum.  Also, it turns out the boiler in my student house has broken and they haven't any hot water or heating, so it turns out this was all timed quite well after all.

No comments: